Nepaug Bible Church - http://www.nepaugchurch.org - Pastor's Prayer Meeting Lesson Notes - http://www.nepaugchurch.org/pm/pm20020821.htm
DEUTERONOMY: GETTING OTHERS TO BE VICTORS, NOT CASUALTIES
Part VII: Discipling Parents On Discipling Their Children In The Lord
Lesson: Moses was used of GOD to DISCIPLE other PARENTS on their rearing of their children as follows: (1) motivating parents with their OWN desire for the "best for our children," (2) he revealed the need for these PARENTS to EXEMPLIFY (a) respecting the Lord [that led to their disciplining their children appropriately] (b) so as to HEED His Word (c) to enjoy BLESSING in their OWN lives. This involved COMPREHENSIVE, CONSISTENT fellowship with the Lord. (3) Such LIVING would give CREDIBILITY to their WORDS unto their children that would direct them to heed the Lord for blessing in their OWN lives, and equip the parent to protect their children from bad PEER pressures!
- Discipling our own children in the Lord is quite an undertaking. However, it is much more challenging to help other parents disciple their children God's way effectively without errantly manipulating them!
- Moses exampled discipling adults to disciple their children in the Lord, and we view his effort for insight:
- Discipling Parents On Discipling Their Children In The Lord, Deuteronomy 6:1-7:6.
- Before Israel crossed over the Jordan into the Promised Land, Moses addressed them with words recorded for us that comprise the book of Deuteronomy, cf. Deuteronomy 1:1; Ryrie Study Bib., KJV, p. 272.
- As such, his words in Deuteronomy 6:1-7:6 on parents discipling their children in God's ways provide for us a Biblical example not only in how to disciple children, but how to lead other parents to do so:
- We view Moses' example in discipling parents to disciple their children with the following observations:
- Item One - Moses relayed to PARENTS who were motivated to see their offspring be blessed of God that their own relationship to God directly impacted the welfare of their children, Deut. 6:1-2, 3-5:
- Moses said parents needed to respect the Lord to obey Him for their own continued blessing, 6:1-2a, 2c. [This respect of God would lead parents to discipline their children when they sinned out of an intolerance for sin as parents who respect GOD themselves expect God's intolerance and hence discipline for their own sins, cf. Proverbs 23:13-14.]
- Consequently, were they to live long lives in blessing, these parents would be equipped better to influence their children to follow their example for the longevity of their blessings as well, 6:2b.
- Moses thus told parents themselves unreservedly to heed God, Deuteronomy 6:3-6.
- Item Two - Moses relayed to PARENTS how to live God's truths to impact their children, 6:7-19:
- Speaking to parents motivated to help their offspring enjoy God's blessing by obeying His Word, Moses encouraged them to speak of God's truths in everyday conversations at home, Deut. 6:7a.
- Speaking to parents thus motivated, Moses encouraged them to speak of God's truths in trips away from home so the children would learn heeding God was a practice not tied to a location, Dt. 6:7b.
- Speaking to parents thus motivated, Moses encouraged them to speak of God's truths at all times of life, exhibiting that obeying God was a way of life, not a "Sabbath-only" ritual, Deuteronomy 6:7c.
- Speaking to parents thus motivated, Moses encouraged them to communicate the importance of heeding God by their actions such as how they dressed or decorated their homes, Deut. 6:8-9.
- Speaking to parents thus motivated, Moses urged them to heed God's Word consistently: (a) He noted parents should not idolize God's material blessings versus depending on the Lord Himself, 6:10-12, (b) that they not replace God with false sources of blessing, 6:13-15, and, (c) when crises arise, that they not fret lest their children think God is unreliable in such hard times, Deut. 6:16-19.
- Item Three - In maintaining an exemplary life, Moses relayed parents would be equipped to explain with impact to their children why it was important to respect and obey God, Deuteronomy 6:20-25.
- Item Four - In heeding God, Moses relayed the parents would be equipped to protect their offspring from bad peer pressure affecting even their children's marital unions for blessing, Deut. 7:1-6!
Application: To influence parents to disciple their offspring, we can relate the WELFARE of their CHILDREN, something close to the heart of EVERY parent, is at stake in how they as parents THEMSELVES relate to the Lord! That way, BOTH parents AND their CHILDREN end up blessed!